Tuesday, August 16, 2011

So the black coat project lead me to...


... make a LEOPARD PRINT one!!!




















Those of you who know me know I can't resiste leopard print! I did make one significant change with this coat though. I didn't want to make another swing coat because I wanted to wear this coat with this wiggle dress:

(Isn't this a cute picture of moi!! This is from my photoshoot with the wonderful girls at Sherbet Birdie where I became a pin-up model for a day. I had a fabulous time having my hair and make-up done, eating cupcakes and drinking champagne, then I had 9 amazing photographs taken and I now have something to look back on when I'm old and decrepit and remember how how I was when I was 32!)

So anyway - back to the sewing!!!

I changed the pattern into a straight skirt and lined the coat in lovely red satin. Its not perfect (none of my sewing is) but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who can see the flaws :)

And I must say that easing the sleeves in this coat was about a thousand times easier - something to do with the fabric I think, it just seemed to squish up better.



Oh, and these are the buttons I purchased from Etsy. I really like putting vintage buttons on my sewing, and these ones came from The Corner Mouse.

Putting the buttons on was where the nightmare started. Luckily the biggest button hole the machine could do was just big enough for these buttons (once again I had started sewing this coat before I found out about bound buttonholes), but everytime I tried to do a buttonhole on the fur the thread would break or the machine would have a fit. It was getting all to much for me - I was sick with an earache and I needed to finish the coat that day to wear it the following day to Greazefest. I had to call my mum. She worked out that the tension was too tight for the fabric (whats tension??) and once that was changed the machine sewed the buttonholes like a warm knife cutting through butter!


Unfortunately I don't have any photos of me wearing the coat. This is because by 9.30am in Brisbane that day it was about 25 degrees celcius and far too hot to be wearing a leopard print coat... what a shame! Oh well, there is always next winter!

1 comment: